Policies listed here are current Colorado State Archives policies.
Policies of interest to Researchers:
Feel free to bring the following items:
- Cell phones – HOWEVER, please refrain from taking calls in the Research Room.
- Digital Cameras – Must be approved by Archives Staff. Unlimited pictures (no flash) for no charge.
- Loose papers, note cards, notebooks, folders – Subject to inspection by Archives Staff upon exit.
Please DO NOT bring the following items in the Research Room:
- Drinks of ANY kind
- Post-it notes
- Brief cases, laptop cases, purses, backpacks, etc. – Free lockers are available.
- Keep records in the order you found them.
- All documents should lay flat on the table, away from the edge.
- Do not:
- lean on,
- write on,
- write on top of,
- create new folds in,
- take apart any documents
- White cotton gloves will be required (and provided) for handling photographic materials.
- If you have any questions on how to best protect a document, do not hesitate to ask Archives Staff.
- Most records can be copied by the researcher.
- Asking staff to make copies for the researcher will incur a slightly higher fee than if the researcher makes their own copies.
- In order to protect records for future use and based on either the condition of the records or behavior of the researcher, Archives Staff may determine a researcher cannot make their own copies. Staff copying fees will apply.
- Some records (e.g. large, fragile, damaged) may require special duplication processes that increase time and cost.
- Some records will not be able to be duplicated, as preserving the record for future use takes precedence over one-time duplication.
- Any information obtained at the State Archives is for research or education purposes only. Information may not be published in any form without approval of the State Archivist. Please refer to the "Media and Publications" section of our Research Room Policy for more information.
Please view our full Research Room Policy for further information
- Research Room Policy (effective November 1, 2019)
Access to Records:
Please view our current Access policy for questions regarding what records are accessible to the general public.
- Access Policy (effective March 11, 2019)
Policies of interest to Originating Agencies:
- Policy Change Re: Preservation/Security Copy Format (effective July 1, 2015)
- Guide to Micrographics Standards (Version 1 )
- Collections Policy (effective June 25, 2018)
- Withdrawal and Temporary Loan Policy (effective April 25, 2019)