As of July 1 2019, CBI Forensic Services is proud to offer all Law Enforcement Agencies and Coroners/ Medical Examiners toxicology testing at no cost for an offense date of July 1, 2019 and later.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Forensic Services-Toxicology Section conducts the analysis of biological fluids for the presence of alcohol and drugs at three different geographical locations (Denver, Grand Junction, and Pueblo) in order to effectively service the Criminal Justice system and the citizens of Colorado.
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Forensic Services-Toxicology Section is accredited by ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB). Accreditation as a Forensic Testing Laboratory is based on ISO/IEC 17025: 2005 and the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors-Laboratory Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB)-International Supplemental Requirements for the Accreditation of Forensic Testing Laboratories (2011). In addition, CBI-Toxicology maintains State certification from the Colorado Department of Health and Environment (CDPHE) to perform human performance and postmortem toxicology.
Blood Collection Kits
CBI blood collection kits are composed of a hard cardboard mailer and an inner cardboard box that contains two 10-ml gray top vials (containing a preservative and an anti-coagulant), evidence integrity seals, paperwork, etc. for Law Enforcement Agencies to utilize for the collection of blood in DUI/DUID cases.
These blood collection kits can be ordered through TriTech Forensics, 800-438-7884
Catalog numbers: BA-0CO-D for Denver Laboratory mailing address
BA-0CO-W for Grand Junction Laboratory mailing address
BA-0CO-P for Pueblo Laboratory mailing address
If unsure of which catalog number to order, please contact a CBI laboratory for assistance.
CBI Toxicology provides testing for DUI and DUID investigations. Request for Laboratory Examination (RFLE) form at bottom of page.
Alcohol and Volatiles: Analyzes for common volatiles such as methanol (wood grain alcohol), ethanol (drinking alcohol), acetone (nail polish remover), isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), difluoroethane or DFE (keyboard spray cleaner/commonly abused as an inhalant), and other volatiles.
Drugs of Abuse or DOA: A fourteen (14) panel drug category test that encompasses many street drugs as well as prescription drugs.
- Amphetamine: Amphetamine and MDA
- Barbiturates: Amobarbital, Butabarbital, Butalbital, Pentobarbital, Phenobarbital, & Secobarbital
- Benzodiazepines: Alprazolam, Bromazepam, Chlordiazepoxide, Clonazepam, 7-Aminoclonazepam, Diazepam, Estazolam, Etizolam, Flurazepam, Lorazepam, Nitrazepam, Midazolam, Oxazepam, Phenazepam, Temazepam, Triazolam, and many other Designer Benzodiazepines
- Buprenorphine: Buprenorphine and Norbuprenorphine
- Carisoprodol: Carisoprodol & Meprobamate
- Cocaine: Cocaine, Cocaethylene, & Benzoylecgonine
- Fentanyl: Fentanyl, Norfentanyl, and many Fentanyl analogs
- Marijuana: delta-9 THC, THC metabolites (Carboxy-THC & Hydroxy-THC)
- Methadone: Methadone
- Methamphetamine: Methamphetamine & MDMA
- Opiates: Codeine, Morphine, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, & Heroin
- Oxycodone: Oxycodone & Oxymorphone
- Tramadol: Tramadol
- Zolpidem: Zolpidem
Specialty Tests (Will only be performed with a specific drug request and/or based upon the known Alcohol/Drug results):
- Prescription Drugs (Rx) Screen: Antihistamines, Antidepressants, Antipsychotics, Anti-seizure medications, Muscle relaxants, and many others.
- Drug Facilitated Crime Screen: 7-Aminoflunitrazepam, Flunitrazepam, GHB, Ketamine, Suvorexant, Zaleplon, Zopiclone, and Zolpidem.
- Pain Management Assay: Mitragynine, U-47700, and many Fentanyl analogs.
- Atypical Antipsychotic Assay: Aripriprazole, Asenapine, Brexipriprazole, Iloperidone, Lurasidone Quetiapine, Risperidone, Vilazodone, and Ziprasidone.
- Other Assays: Bath Salts (i.e. MDPV, Mephedrone), Phencyclidine (PCP), and Phenytoin.
Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault (DFSA) or Drug Facilitated (DFC) Crimes Cases
CBI Toxicology understands the complexity of DFSA testing and will perform the following on a urine or blood sample, as well as perform confirmations on both blood and urine if necessary:
- Alcohol and Volatiles
- Drugs of Abuse or DOA
- Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB)
- Prescription Drugs (Rx)
- Sleeping Zzz’s (Zolpidem, Zaleplon, Zopiclone, and Suvorexant)
Medicolegal Death Investigation/Postmortem Toxicology
CBI Toxicology provides testing for Coroners/Medical Examiners for their death investigations. Post Mortem Request for Laboratory Examination (RFLE) form at bottom of page.
- Alcohol and Volatiles
- Drugs of Abuse or DOA
- Specialty Tests: Carbon Monoxide available upon request.
Other Services available:
- Expert Disclosure Reports (Rule 16): Available upon written request.
- Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) Retrograde Extrapolation Report: Available upon written request.
- Discovery: All relevant notes, scientific findings, and chain-of custody documents that constitute discovery of a case are available upon written request.
- Testimony: Available upon subpoena.