Welcome to the Colorado Low-Income Energy Assistance Program
LEAP is a federally funded program that helps eligible hard working Colorado families, seniors and individuals pay a portion of their winter home heating costs. Our goal is to help bring warmth, comfort and safety to your home and family by assisting with heating costs during the all-too-often harsh Coloradan winters.
If your income is up to 165% of the federal poverty index, you may qualify for heating assistance this winter through LEAP.
The amount of the energy assistance benefit varies depending on a variety of factors, including the primary heating fuel costs and income. The program does not provide financial assistance for any type of temporary or portable heating. In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household energy supplier.
You may qualify if you:
- Pay home heating costs, either directly to a utility company or to a landlord as part of rent.
- Are a permanent legal resident of the United States and a Colorado resident or you have household members that are U.S. citizens.
- Earn a maximum family household income that does not exceed 165% of the federal poverty index.
- Provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. Valid forms of identification include:
- Colorado Driver’s License or Colorado Identification card
- United States Military Identification Card or Military Dependent’s Identification card
- United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
- Native American Tribal document
Use the table below to determine your monthly gross income according to your household size. Household refers to all people living with you and for whom you are financially responsible. The income guidelines will be updated on November 1, 2019 when the LEAP program reopens. Please check back on November 1, 2019.
MAXIMUM GROSS MONTHLY INCOME
In most cases, if you are approved for LEAP, payments are made directly to your primary heating fuel vendor and a notice will be sent to you informing you of the benefit amount.
Other benefits provided by LEAP include repair or replacement of a home’s primary heating system, such as a furnace or wood-burning stove.
Click here for more helpful resources!
It is not intended to pay the entire cost of home heating, but rather to help alleviate some of the burden associated with the colder months.