For violations on or after January 1, 2014, a refusal results in a one year revocation for a first offense and a Persistent Drunk Driver designation. This designation requires the person to complete a Level II Alcohol and Drug Education and Treatment program. In addition, the person must hold a restricted license (Ignition Interlock) for a minimum of two years upon restoration or his or her driving privileges (CRS 42-2-132.5).
- If you have a notice of revocation issued by a police officer, you have seven days to go to a driver license office to request a hearing
- If the license was not surrendered at the time of the stop it MUST be surrendered to receive a temporary driving permit
- For information about how to request a hearing, please call 303-205-5613
- Contact the hearing section at 303-205-5606
- See information regarding evidence presented at a hearing
The court may require you to complete a series of alcohol classes as a condition of a plea bargain or a deferred sentence for an alcohol-related offense. There are also circumstances in which the court may not order you to take alcohol classes, but Colorado law will require these classes as a condition of driver license reinstatement. To find a treatment provider please visit https://www.colorado.gov/cdhs.
Out-of-State Driver Reinstating in Colorado
If you are an out of state driver and need to reinstate with the State of Colorado and have a requirement for Level II Drug/Alcohol Education/Therapy you must have an evaluation done by an alcohol treatment center or alcohol therapist in the state where you reside. You cannot reinstate with the State of Colorado until you can provide documentation that you have met the requirements of the center or therapist. A summary of the evaluation should be submitted on letterhead from the alcohol treatment center or therapist and must specify the beginning and ending dates as well as the hours required to fulfill their requirements. For more information on alcohol classes view the Level I and Level II Classes Brochure.
- View your eligibility date and reinstatement requirements and upload required documents
- Pay your reinstatement fee online
- For other online services, visit https://mydmv.colorado.gov